Thursday, April 2, 2009

March 16, 2009 - Gavin's Birth Day!

Well, since my last post, much has changed! Gavin ended up turning back around at the last minute, so our c-section was going to be cancelled. But, about 3 a.m. on Monday, March 16, I woke up and just then my water broke! And it wasn't just trickling out like you see in the movies-it was gushing out! Matt and I frantically tried to get a bag packed so we could rush to the hospital. I knew that once my water broke it was only a matter of time before Gavin arrived. We called our parents on the way. Once we were checked in and in a delivery room the time dragged on. I was so anxious for Gavin to arrive, but I just wouldn't dilate. They finally ended up doing an amniocentesis, which is where they add water back into me because I was losing so much. My contractions ended up feeling so strong that I was in an enormous amount of pain, so I was given an epidural. Well, the epidural only worked on the left side of my body, so I was still in tremendous pain on the right. The epidural was eventually removed and another one was put in, which finally worked and I felt such relief. I was finally able to rest without feeling the contractions.

Well, finally about 7 p.m. that night, Gavin still hadn't arrived and my doctor decided that I had been in labor so long that he wanted to perform an emergency c-section. I was anxious, excited, and nervous all at the same time and I know Matt felt the same way. I was finally wheeled into the surgery room around 8 p.m. and by 8:56 p.m. Gavin was here! I could hear his little cry and tears filled my eyes. I was stuck behind a sheet so I could see him and I was just dying inside because I wanted to jump off the table and hold my baby in my arms! Matt got to go cut the cord and see him for the first time and he made sure to take a picture. Then, while they cleaned him up, Matt brought the camera over to me so I could see the picture. I cried again when I saw how beautiful he was! He looked absolutely perfect. When I finally got to see him, it was such an amazing feeling. I couldn't wait to hold him in my arms.

I had to be stitched up and then wheeled to a recovery room. I was so anxious to be with my baby that every minute in the cold, sterile recovery room was torture. I kept asking when I could see my baby, but they wouldn't let me leave until I could move my legs. My left leg was completely numb due to the two epidurals. I knew that it wouldn't move for awhile, so I mustered up every bit of strength in my body to move my right leg and show the nurses that I was okay. Luckily for me, they didn't ask me to move my left leg, too!

So I was finally wheeled into the postpartum room where I was joined by Matt and Gavin! I was so happy to finally hold him in my arms! It was so amazing! I marveled at how beautiful and precious he was. I wanted to spend a few moments alone with him before we had visitors, but our poor families had been waiting for almost 24 hours to see him, so many of them had to go home before they could see him. But I will always treasure those first few moments with him. And as I looked into his sweet eyes, I knew that life was about to change forever...

Matt with Gavin

Me with Gavin (looking awful and exhausted)

No comments:

Post a Comment