Tuesday, December 28, 2010
Gavin has learned how to say “please” using both sign language and orally. Right around Halloween, he was asking for a snack and I wanted him to say "please." I was trying to encourage two-word phrases like his speech pathologist had requested, but Gavin just kept saying “please,” and rubbing his little hand on his chest and belly to sign it as well. So I said, “tell Mama please” hoping to prompt him into using the two-word phrase. Then, he came up to me and rubbed his little hand on my belly and said, “pease!” I guess that's how he tells Mama. Ha ha!
Monday, December 27, 2010
I couldn't wait until Halloween for him to sport it. Well, the day before Halloween a friend of mine invited us over to her apartment complex where they were having a costume contest for kids. I attempted to put Gavin in his costume and he completely freaked out. He was screaming in terror when I even got it near him. At first, I started to panic and felt like Halloween would be ruined for us this year, but then, I could almost hear my mom's voice saying, "Don't force him to wear something he's uncomfortable in, even if he just wears pajamas as a costume, it will be okay. You want him to be comfortable." Thanks, Mom, I think her words of wisdom will continue to be with me forever.
Ah, yes, that one is a much more practical size.
After all that time spent looking for just the right pumpkins, we didn't even end up carving them! We just ran out of time. Oh, the shame....
Sunday, December 26, 2010
- You have been running for over a month and you now run all over the place!
- One of your new words is "bay-ball" (baseball), and you make the cutest little Popeye mouth when you say it. Here is a video clip:
- You continue to love bath time and sometimes are difficult to get out when it's over.
- You continue to love your time outside and would probably stay outside all day if we let you.
- You received another haircut from Aunt Evie and discovered the water bottle and had a blast spraying it all over the house and yourself.
- You are fascinated by the camera and want to see the "baby" on the viewer every time I take it out. This makes it exceptionally difficult to take your picture - sometimes you will chase me around to see the pictures!
- You love your sunglasses and wanted them on one day before a car show and left them on for several hours until you decided it was no longer bright enough to require them.
- You love Grandpa C's cat, Brat, because she lets you pet her as long as you're gentle.
- Unlike your mom, you are fascinated by lizards and you and Daddy caught a baby one and made a little home for it so you could study it for awhile. (You and I later released it back into the backyard because it wouldn't have survived long in captivity.)
- You love your swing and often ask to go on the "weee."
- You continue to be a picky eater and sometimes I have to go through crazy theatrics to get you to eat certain things.
- I decided that you were ready for flashcards and bought you Picture Words and More Picture Words. When I called the school supply store, the clerk told me that they had them available and they were for ages 5 and 6 and up. I told him that was perfect because you were a very advanced 18 1/2 month old! Here is a video clip of you going through some of the cards about a week after having them: