Monday, May 25, 2009

Trying the Bottle

Matt and I ended up trying the Pigeon bottle again at home a few days after I had success with it at Loma Linda.  Well, it was a terrible experience.  Gavin screamed at the top of his lungs the whole time and had big crocodile tears pouring out of his eyes.  It was so heartbreaking!  We tried and tried, but ended up just letting him breastfeed because it was too traumatic for all of us.

On Friday, I got a call from the Speech Pathologist, Heather, because she would like to set up another appointment for us to meet with her and work on bottle-feeding again.  I hope we can because I really want Matt to go this time since he will be doing a majority of the bottle-feeding.  Last time, he couldn't go because he had to work.  So we are keeping our fingers crossed for another appointment, it has to be pre-authorized for our insurance, but they are pretty slow lately.

When I told Heather about our awful bottle experience, she explained that it may be best for Matt to try the bottle-feeding since Gav already associates me with breastfeeding.  Also, babies can sense their mothers up to 20 feet away, so it might also help if I am not in the room.  Wow, very interesting!  So today we decided to attempt the bottle again.  Matt tried first, but Gavin starting screaming and both my boys were feeling frustrated pretty quickly.  I calmed Gavin down and then tried the bottle myself by placing it right near my breast, and surprisingly, it worked!  He fussed a bit, but then took the bottle!  I was so excited.  We never know how much he drinks when he is breastfeeding, so I was interested to see that he drank about 2 1/2 ounces. This experience left Matt and I feeling a bit more encouraged about the bottle.  We want to try it again tonight if we can.  Let's hope for more success!

Here are two cute pictures of my sweet boy napping yesterday.

2 comments:

  1. Look at him! He's getting so big! I love those two pics.

    And hooray for a successful bottle feeding! Maybe you'll get to come to the tea on Saturday afterall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting and "delurking"...I hope you have been able to find comfort through Adalynn. Isn't she gorgeous??? :)

    Your little man is adorable! What a cutie!! I don't have a lot of time now, but I am excited about going back and reading about your journey.

    Obviously I am a little behind, but I was wondering why they are pushing bottle feeding so much. If he is able to nurse then why is bottle feeding an issue? Just curious???

    ReplyDelete